The Real Reality
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Real Reality

Come here to speak about anything on your mind. For indigos or earth angels of any ages. This is a sancturary for anyone who feels... different.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Phoenixes

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
cyril-da-bomb

cyril-da-bomb

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2007-01-10

Phoenixes Empty
PostSubject: Phoenixes   Phoenixes Icon_minitimeWed Jan 10, 2007 9:10 am

In ancient Egyptian mythology and in myths derived from it, the phoenix or phœnix is a mythical sacred firebird.

Said to live for 500 or 1461 years (depending on the source), the phoenix is a bird with beautiful gold and red plumage. At the end of its life-cycle the phoenix builds itself a nest of cinnamon twigs that it then ignites; both nest and bird burn fiercely and are reduced to ashes, from which a new, young phoenix arises. The new phoenix embalms the ashes of the old phoenix in an egg made of myrrh and deposits it in the Egyptian city of Heliopolis ("the city of the sun" in Greek). The bird was also said to regenerate when hurt or wounded by a foe, thus being almost immortal and invincible — a symbol of fire and divinity.

I wish the phoenix was around today, talk about an awesome pet! They are currently my favourite mythological creature at the moment,
Awesome animal
Back to top Go down
Unorthodox.Angel
Admin
Unorthodox.Angel

Number of posts : 132

Phoenixes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Phoenixes   Phoenixes Icon_minitimeWed Jan 10, 2007 9:21 am

Also, phoenixes are depicted in myths in just about every culture. The egyptian phoenix is just one of many legends involving the mythical bird...

Its one of those legends that you wonder if it has any basis in truth, because it is too coincidental otherwise...
Back to top Go down
https://therealreality.editboard.com
JuliaElizabeth

Number of posts : 3

Phoenixes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Phoenixes   Phoenixes Icon_minitimeWed Jan 10, 2007 10:07 pm

farao OMG I totally came to the Mythology topic to post about PHOENIXES!!!!!!!!! sunny

BECAUSE I"VE BEEN OBSESSING OVER PEACOCKS LATELY! So I looked them up in the book Animal Speak and when it connected Peacocks to Phoenixes all the bells and whistles went off! Here are my friends, from Ardenwood Farm last month, helping me celebrate my Phoenix phase of life right now!!!

Phoenixes IMG_5503-1

Phoenixes IMG_5493-1

I also wrote a myth of my life in which I named myself Phoenix. Indigos move through worlds so quickly... create, destroy, create, destroy... Laughing YAY PHOENIXES!!!
Back to top Go down
Myself

Myself

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2007-01-13

Phoenixes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Phoenixes   Phoenixes Icon_minitimeSat Jan 13, 2007 5:21 am

Though almost every culture features some form of phoenixes,most have completly diferent i deas on what they look like.
The Chinese phoenix was thought to have a large beak, the neck of a snake, the back of a tortoise, and the tail of a fish whereas the egyptian version was said to be the size of an eagle, with gold plumage around the neck, a purple body, and an azure tail.
Where did the legend of the phoenix first originate?
Back to top Go down
Unorthodox.Angel
Admin
Unorthodox.Angel

Number of posts : 132

Phoenixes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Phoenixes   Phoenixes Icon_minitimeSat Jan 13, 2007 5:28 am

I think it was egyptian, the first legend of it... But the others were so different, yet the same, that they couldnt really have been rip offs of it, even though they were so similar... God, that made no sense...

Anyway, the idea of a phoenix is really common in ancient culture.. It does make you wonder why...

On a sorta related note, I saw an awesome pendant of the chinese phoenix... But it was in a shop in Levin, and I had no money, so Im not sure if il ever be able to buy it Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
https://therealreality.editboard.com
Sponsored content

Phoenixes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Phoenixes   Phoenixes Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Phoenixes
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Real Reality :: Mythology and Ancient Culture :: Myths and Legends-
Jump to: